About Jefferson Center Presbyterian Church

On June 27th 1871, a petition was presented to the Butler Presbytery by the Rev. Carl Linn and signed by twelve persons requesting the establishment of a German speaking church. Their request was granted and the church organized on July 8th 1871, by the name of Linnville Presbyterian Church, consisting of nine members and afterward ten were added. The original members were: Frank Fruth, Mrs. Anna Fruth, Carl Goebel, Mrs. Elizabeth Goebel, George C. Grabe, Mrs. Elizabeth Grabe, Wilhelm Montag, Mrs. Catherine Montag, Edward Montag, Mrs. Maria Montag, John Cooper, Mrs. Hannah Copper, Maria G. Cooper, Caroline Cooper, Catherine Cooper, Gottlieb Steinhauser, Carl Steinhauser, Fredrich Siebert and Mrs. Chrstina Siebert. On April 22nd 1873, the name was changed to the German Evangelical Presbyterian Church.

From the beginning, the church at Jefferson Center struggled for survival. Five years after its organization, the church had no pastor or supply and the Session did not meet. The Rev. C.A. Limberg (1885-1897) was forced to break the exclusive use of the German language because the young people of the church could not read German. He first preached one English sermon a month in the evening, and by 1902 German was no longer used in the church.

Through the efforts of Rev. A.J. Sauerbrum the church gained strength. His own modest assessment of the church was this: “The people simply plodded long and patiently carried on, and so managed by the grace of God to keep the church in a prosperous condition, and in some instances, setting a worthy example to other churches in the Presbytery.”

May God give us the grace to move forward in His will, no longer struggling for survival, but rather serving Him with all our strength.

Through the efforts of Rev. A.J. Sauerbrum the church gained strength. His own modest assessment of the church was this:

“The people simply plodded long and patiently carried on, and so managed by the grace of God to keep the church in a prosperous condition, and in some instances, setting a worthy example to other churches in the Presbytery.”

Ministers

Rev. Carl Linn *SS 1871
Rev. C.W. Seamen SS 1873
Rev. John Launitz SS 1881
Rev. Augustus Heibert SS 1881-1885
Rev. C.A. Limberg SS 1885-1897
Rev. A.C. Espach SS 1899-1903
Rev. Arnold G. Sauerbrum   1904-1920
Rev. Henry B. Ellwood   1922-1924
Rev. Thomas F. Kerr October 1924-1929
Rev. C.R. Thayer   1930-1941
Rev. J. Leslie Bell April 1941-1945
Rev. D.J. Scott, D.D. SS 1945
Rev. J.C. McElroy SS 1946-1948
Rev. David Thompson (Student Pastor & regular) 1948-1951
James Chain- Student Pastor   1952
Rev. Ralph G. Coonradt August 1952-1959
Rev. Mark B. Maharg SS 1959
Rev. Carl F. Schoman   1960-1968
Gordon Parke- Student Pastor   1969-1973
Rev. Andrew Chalmers SS 1973-1974
Ronald Miller SS 1975-1978
Rev. Rick Hays March 1978
Rev. Jean Henderson December 1978-1985
Rev. George H. Kehrli October 1985-1986
Rev. Robert B. Langston August 1986-1996
Rev. Thomas Clyde- interim February 1997-1998
Rev. Jeffery B. Moore July 1998-2007
Rev. Robert McCrumb II February 2007-2008
Rev. Toby L. Brown August 2008-2011
Rev. James Steiner - Interim October 2011-2013
Rev. Jonathan West June 2013
  August 2017  
SMTWTFS
  12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
     
Upcoming Events
AUG

27

SUN
Cookie Sunday
10:30 AM
Time for fellowship, cookies, coffee, milk or juice.
Sunday School
10:45 AM
SEP

03

SUN
SEP

04

MON
Bible Search